Preclinical data showed that human mesothelioma cells are highly sensitive to TTFields2
- Given that MPM is usually contained within the thorax, the addition of a loco-regional modality like Optune Lua could be of benefit in this setting, especially if associated with low toxicity2
- TTFields are low-intensity (1-3 V/cm) alternating electric fields tuned to a specific frequency (150 kHz) to disrupt solid tumor cancer cell division1
- TTFields disrupt cell division through physical interaction with key molecules during mitosis3
Optune Lua delivers TTFields to selectively disrupt mitosis1,4
- Impair microtubule assembly
- Impede midline localization of cytokinetic band
- Induce cytoplasmic blebbing and mitotic failure
- Cause asymmetric chromosome segregation
- Induce intracellular dielectrophoresis of macromolecules and organelles
Learn more about the TTFields mechanism of action
Optune Lua has the same mechanism of action as Optune®, which was approved for recurrent glioblastoma (GBM) in 20111,7,8
TTFields, Tumor Treating Fields.
References: 1. Optune Lua. Instructions for Use for Unresectable Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Novocure; 2019. 2. Giladi M, Schneiderman RS, Voloshin T, et al. Mitotic spindle disruption by alternating electric fields leads to improper chromosome segregation and mitotic catastrophe in cancer cells. Sci Rep. 2015;5:18046. 3. Toms SA, Kim CY, Nicholas G, Ram Z. Increased compliance with tumor treating fields therapy is prognostic for improved survival in the treatment of glioblastoma: a subgroup analysis of the EF-14 phase III trial. J Neurooncol. 2019;141(2):467-473. 4. Kirson ED, Dbalý V, Tovarys F, et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2007:104(24):10152-10157. 5. Gutin PH, Wong ET. Noninvasive application of alternating electric fields in glioblastoma: a fourth cancer treatment modality. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2012:126-131. 6. Gera N, Yang A, Holtzman TS, Lee SX, Wong ET, Swanson KD. Tumor Treating Fields perturb the localization of septins and cause aberrant mitotic exit. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(5):e0125269. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0125269. 7. Summary of Safety and Effectiveness Data (SSED). US FDA Website. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf10/ p100034s013b.pdf. Accessed April 9, 2019. 8. Optune Instructions For Use for GBM. Novocure 2019. 9. FDA Approves the NovoTTF-100L™ System in Combination with Chemotherapy for the Treatment of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma [press release]. St. Helier, Jersey: Business Wire; May 23, 2019. 10. Novocure Corporate presentation. https://www.novocure.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2019/01/201901_NVCR_Corporate_Presentation_vF-1.pdf. Published January 2019. Accessed April 16, 2019. 11. US Food and Drug Administration. Premarket Approval (PMA) Database. Silver Spring, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2015. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfpma/pma.cfm?id=P100034S013. Updated May 13, 2019. Accessed May 16, 2019.